From Authoring Action's origins, the support and development of local professional artists has been a top priority. Authoring Action contracts with artists to teach their craft, exposing teens to their artistic visions and skills through collaboration. The result is a magical thing... a product created by both the teen apprentice and the professional artist. Artists are recognized and celebrated and often report that their connection and mentoring of teens has informed their own craft as they develop and hone their ability to be teaching artists.
Authoring Action is working hard to expand our new home at the Winston-Salem Center for Education and the Arts! It now includes a visual art room and soon to be film-making editing/screening room. In these newly created spaces, we engage with local artists in our community to provide artist workshops and film-making instruction.
Collaborating Teaching Artists - 2017/2018:
- Paul Douse (singer/songwriter/diverse musical genres),
- Sylvia Smith, Vocalist (Central University, Durham,NC),
- Frenchie LaVern, Costume and Make up for Student Films.
- Jennifer O'Kelly, Lighting and Scenic Designer. Teaches and collaborates with youth to develop the set, lighting and operate lighting for the Summer Intensives and Annual Winter Retrospectives at Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art. She also mentors teens to be the lighting technicians during performance engagements.
- Brandon Woods teaches movement to Authoring Action youth during the Summer Intensive.
- Eric Glenn is a collaborating musician as well as being the Program Director for the "Just Us" program.
- Sara Graybeal is a Guest Writer during the Summer Intensive.
- Chad Beroth directs the youth in creating a logo design for the Summer Intensive.
- Village Yoga Outreach, Owner Bonnie Phillips provides a mindful yoga practice each morning at our Summer Intensive Youth Program, teaching basic yoga poses and breathing exercises.
- Yoga Unplugged, Owner Audra Byers is a creative movement artist. Provides yoga instruction and yoga calisthenics during the Summer Intensive.
Authoring Action's Summer Intensive Youth Program works with collaborating choreographers and film-makers from the North Carolina School of the Arts.
Throughout the school year, visiting artists collaborate on special projects and partnerships. Each are paid via income through honoraria, donations, workshop fees, or special project grants.